Sunday, January 15, 2012

What to do with weeded books

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do with books I have weeded from the library. I'll let the teachers choose them but then I'm left with extras wondering who would appreciate them. The school that I worked at 10 years ago would have a reading night and students were given tickets and could "purchase" books based on the amount of tickets they received. Students received tickets by donating books to the library. There would be a mixture of weeded library books and books students had at home but didn't want any more. A pizza night was designated and kids would "shop" for books.

A middle school teacher has a teaching class he gives to 30 local Taiwanese teachers. We decided to partner and have them choose books at the end of class. They want English books for their classroom. It has been really wonderful seeing the books find a new home. What are you doing with your books?

2 comments:

  1. Barb -
    I'm usually standing with arms open at the sight of weeded books. In the past I've used them as starters for sketchbooks with my students. Sometimes a blank page can be intimidating so starting with a page with text or photos helps students jump right in to drawing or idea collecting. They adapt the pages to whatever they are doing - pasting paper, drawing over text, painting a background, anything. Slowly the book is transformed from it's old self into the style of the young artist working in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trista,
    Are you an art teacher? Do you have any photos of what you do? I'm curious. If you can, take a picture and post it. I'd love to see what you do so I can use it or pass on the info to teachers at our school. Thanks for the post, Barb

    ReplyDelete